2:00 a.m. Woke up to three screaming children. Unsure of cause. Fed bottle. Went back to sleep
8:00 a.m. Have struggled with 1 jealous toddler, 2 fussy trips, and 1 wolverine (trip #3) for an hour. Made appointment for everyone to visit pediatrician at 3:00 p.m.
9:30 a.m. Toddler bites triplet ("I didn't mean to!" -- my butt). Triplet cries for 10 minutes. Bitten finger quite red. Remaining triplets take up wailing. Fed bottles, put down for nap. Toddler in indefinite time-out.
11:00 a.m. Everyone awake. Everyone gets lunch. Naps all around by Noon.
12:05 p.m. No one is napping.
1:00 p.m. Toddler and wolverine napping. Thing one and thing two must be held constantly or wailing ensues.
2:30 p.m. The wolverine awakens just in time for the Dr. appointment. Decide to only take Thing 1 (who is actively pulling on ear), leaving Thing 2 and Toddler with the nanny.
3:00 p.m. Arrive at Pediatrician.
3:30 p.m. Get in room
3:30 - 4:00 p.m. Experience purgatory as wolverine loses his mind and determines to take Thing one and Me with him.
4:00 p.m. Dr. diagnoses double ear infections in both. I assure him Thing 2 needs the same medicine, as he has insisted on being held all day and cried very easily (at least when bitten). Dr. concedes as I'm looking a bit rough around the edges and am not to be trifled with.
5:00 p.m. Return home with sleeping children.
5:05 p.m. Accidentally wake them both while disentangling them from car seat.
5:30 p.m. Feed them healthy dinner of Captain D's fish and cheerios.
6:00 p.m. Administer antibiotics, pain medicine and narcotic cough syrup. Bottles and bedtime follow.
7:00 p.m. Consider drinking heavily. Decide head hurts too bad already.
7:05 p.m. Finish remaining dregs of Ben and Jerry's "Cherry Garcia". Do dishes. Tidy up (minimally). Get attacked by scary monster (In spooky voice, "I comin' a get you, mommy). Attack suddenly morphs into big hug and spontaneous, "I WUV you, mommy. I not scary." Settle in to stare at television with husband and toddler.
8:00 p.m. Ask toddler to consider bed-time. "Not yet, mommy. Not today." Continue to encourage toddler to feel sleepy for next half hour.
8:30 p.m. Begin bed-time ritual in earnest. "I bwush my teef. Don' touch me!" "I go potty. NO! Pwease don' touch me, Mommy!" Read Goodnight Moon twice. Let toddler read it to me once. Make shadow puppets with his Shrek flashlight. Talk about the day. Sing "Itsy Bitsy Spider" three times with complete hand gestures. Finally, leave him in his room...possibly about to go to sleep. Possibly about to get up and play with his trains as soon as I'm out of earshot.
9:15 Here, sharing with you all he pleasures of raising 4 little boys. Some say, "I'm so glad it's you, not me." Even on days like this, I'm glad it's me, too.
9:45 Thing 1's coughing fit, scares Thing 2 who cries hysterically. Wolverine sleeps on. Toddler singing to himself. Mommy calls it a day.
Monday, July 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
and on and on it goes, huh? Is that kind of how every day is, only not all have the ear infections?
Oh.My.Goodness. I have only two, Sweet Son #1 (a big boy at 7) and the Manimal (who is 18 months, and, yes, the name says it all). I literally drop into bed from exhaustion every night. Work is my respite! :) Hang in there. Love your blog.
I bow down to you, because I don't know how I do it with two kids....you're amazing.
Post a Comment