First off, a quick Jack update. We went to see our pediatrician today and were told "classic febrile seizure" and "nothing really to worry about" just alternate tylenol and motrin if we even think he might run a fever at some point in the near future. However, at the end of all that reassurance, he still threw in that we need to get a neurology consult sometime before the year is out just in case they might be able to reduce the frequency. We are definitely going to do that, but I have no intention of medicating unless there is absolutely NO other choice in the world. So it might be moot, but there you go.
He's still feverish but hilarious. Over dinner, I almost choked on my Crystal Light when he laboriously polished the table with his napkin, carefully used it to blot his mouth in the most fastidious fashion...then raised it to his nose and honked on it like there was no tomorrow. Life is good, and so is he. Thanks for all the concern.
Now...here's where the problem comes in. Yesterday, after receiving a clean bill of health at Children's Hospital, Jack and I went home, and he almost immediately fell into bed...exhausted but feverless. Our nanny pointed out that in my previous days shopping for the trips, I had failed to purchase any pajamas small enough for Will and he had absolutely none to wear that night. I decided to make a quick run to Gymboree and raid the Sale rack for a few more sets and did so in quite good time. The problem? Anthropology is just next door, and what with the extreme stress and the fact that I am considerably wardrobe challenged since the trips, I decided to just "peek in". A peek led to a quick feel followed by a brief romp to the dressing room. Long story short, I left with a new dress and jacket, and even took 10 minutes out on the way home to drop the dress off for alterations. Once I got home (where all 4 children were still sleeping happily) the guilt began to set in.
What kind of horrible mom would even CONSIDER shopping on such a day as yesterday...let alone take time out for freaking alterations!!! My only defense lies in the fact that my penchant for retail therapy has been well established during times of duress. I suppose I could be camped out in the bathroom quietly polishing off the cooking sherry, but at least I'd look like a better mom for staying home all day being hyper-vigilant. Instead, I'm escaping for an hour of pure selfishness every now and again. I imagine that there's a 12-step program for people like me. I'd join right away...only my fall wardrobe is even sadder than my summer wardrobe. And come to think of it, my winter and spring are all at least two sizes too big now. So I guess my "recovery" isn't looking too good until about this time next year. In the mean time, try not to judge me too harshly...at least not until you've seen my new dress and jacket. The are pretty fabulous.
Wednesday, June 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
What, you didn't venture over to the newly relocated White House Black Market while you there?? Ah, well, I'm just vicariously shopping through you anyway! Hopefully, soom we can do the real thing together.
Glad to hear Jack is doing well and always keeping you guys entertained.
I have so much black stuff already that Jason worries I'm planning to be a Merry Widow sometime in the near future. Anthropology is DECIDEDLY more colorful than WHBM, and so the decision was made.
Post a Comment