Monday, September 11, 2006

Not So Random Acts of Kindness

Unlike Blanche Dubois from A Streetcar Named Desire, I have never been one to rely on the kindness of strangers. Always a type A, do-it-myself sort of girl -- I liked being there for my friends, yet never felt all that comfortable when asking for help myself. However, since I've been bed-bound by the triplets, I have come to rely on my neighbors, good friends and family for support, encouragement and -- of course -- food!! I'm honestly overwhelmed by the magnitude of it all.

In the food department, we've had frozen casseroles from the Golden Girls, weekly meals from the Bunco Babes, and our own private pizza and ice cream sundae party a la Matt and Staci (who happen to be on their way to wedded bliss in December, and are such a sweet couple it makes your teeth hurt). Jack made certain to sample each and every item, and has delivered an across the board thumbs up.

Then there's the nursery decorating. Two of my friends from way back, Monica & Andi, spent a Saturday morning completely repainting the room we're moving Jack into, and swear they're coming back to paint the nursery once we get all his stuff moved out. I'm convinced they've missed their calling, as they obviously deserve their own show on DIY Network. On top of that, my fabulous sister, Amy, kindly volunteered her equally wonderful husband, Larry, to install the nursery carpet. If you've ever seen how carpet is stretched, you know what a sacrifice he's making. My knees hurt just thinking about it. And finally, my sainted mother has hand made each baby his own quilt so they'll be able to have comfy tummy time when they get here.

Finally, there's the countless phone calls, e-mails and personal visits delivering care packages of magazines and puzzle books to keep me sane. Neighbors who have STILL not caught a glimpse of me have reached out in friendship. And there was even an in-home manicure/pedicure courtesy of the gals at UAB (Jayne, Sherry and Katherine). I can't tell you what that did for my morale.

Sometime when I have a few hours, I'll have to devote an entire entry to my in-laws who have essentially given up their own lives to keep mine going while I'm out of commission. My precious Jack couldn't be happier, and you couldn't get more loving care than I've received in these past three (almost four) months. The only drawback? Jason has now become accustomed to having his scrubs ironed, and it's going to be really difficult to bring him crashing down to reality when I'm in charge of laundry again -- i.e. If I remember to get it out of the dryer before it cools, it doesn't need ironing.

I just want to thank everyone for taking time out of their lives to make mine a little brighter. It's because of the wonderful support I've received that this pregnancy seems to have gone by so quickly, despite the constant confinement. You've left me humbled and very, very grateful.

No comments: