Upon noticing light leaking from underneath Jack's door, I entered his room to find him trying to place a three foot dragon into a 12 inch baby carriage. Wordlessly, I pointed toward his bed. "I'm just playing," he said. "I know," I replied, "but remember how tired you were yesterday and how many times you got put in time out? You didn't even get to visit very much with Aunt Tamara and Uncle Phil because you were in trouble most of the day. If you go to bed and get lots of sleep, then you'll feel good tomorrow and can play and have fun instead of being grouchy."
"I'm mad at them," said Jack. "At Aunt Tamara and Uncle Phil?" I asked, starting to get confused. "No...I mad at Transformers cause they scare me." Thinking we were getting to the heart of why his lights were on at 9 p.m., I began to talk about why there were no Transformers coming to get him, and that even if they did show up his Build-A-Bear Cheetah would do his scary roar and chase them away. "And Scuba Divers?" Jack asked. "Scuba Divers, too" I promised. "And fish, too" Jack added. "O.k." I said. "Fish, too."
Turns out Cheetah's roar didn't seem sufficient for all those foes, so Jason was drafted to come downstairs and tell all the Transformers, Scuba Divers and Fish who were thinking about scaring Jack to bugger off once and for all. With that accomplished, Jack curled up with his stuffed hippo and went to sleep.
As I readied myself for bed, I began to think of all the things that keep my eyes wide and staring as the night drags on...War, Politics, Random Acts of Violence and in general the vast uncertainty of the future stretching out before us. If anyone knows where I can find a stuffed animal with a roar big enough to take on these boogie men, please e-mail me ASAP.
Monday, September 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment